Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Pope's Prayer

Here is an article about the Pope's visit to New York. I think it's interesting that, even with being recently singled out by Al Qaeda himself, he basically asks forgiveness for the 9/11 hijackers. He asks for peace and love to come into the hearts of those that suffered as a result of the hijackers' actions. What does this say about counter-terrorism? What would happen if all those fighting terrorism grew a love for the terrorists? I don't think it would change much. I don't hate the terrorists, but I most certainly do NOT agree with what they stand for and what they're doing. I think that people can grow a love instead of hatred without wishing for the counterterrorist efforts to stop. I believe that those that are trying to kill innocent people (one of our requirements of terrorism) deserve to be stopped--forcefully if needs be. It doesn't mean we hate terrorists. Some people may, but not all do. Diplomacy doesn't always work. That is why many groups have turned to terrorism. That is why we (the US) have turned to force.

2 comments:

ashley said...

I agree that just because we are trying to stop the terrorists doesn't mean we have hatred for them. However, I do think here in America, we as a society use hate speech against Osama Bin Ladin and his Al-Qaeda network. Maybe this feeling is justified, maybe it never is. But I do think it exists and it is important to be aware of it and as a nation let it go. Secondly, I don't think we can say America only uses force when it absolutely has to. Though others may disagree, the War in Iraq was a war of choice and not necessity. The American people supported because they were so angry at Al-Qaeda they wanted to fight them. The Bush Administration exploited these feelings.

Kee said...

I agree Heather, I think that people can forgive the terrorists without wishing the counter-terrorism efforts to stop. The US, and indeed any country, has the right to defend itself against terrorist attacks, even if it means using force. Terrorism is certainly evil and I believe the world as a whole, not just the US, needs to make the necessary efforts to control terrorism, and use force if necessary. In some sense, I think this is a good vs. evil fight. Terrorism is evil, and the world needs to take the responsibility and try to at least control it. I think the US, especially in Afghanistan, has taken the first step in this fight and the rest of the world should continue to help, and even increase their help, in order to make the world as a whole more safe.