Saturday, March 15, 2008

Secret Captures by CIA

This article is about the secret capture of Muhammad Rahim a guy who helped Usama hide out at one point and a bunch of other nasty terrorist activity. The intresting part of the article is that the CIA had secretley detained and interrogated him back in April 2007 only now after almost a year of intergation does he get turned over to the military and guantanmo bay. So my question : We capture people for the intellegince but why not say we captured them ? Doesnt this give fuel to the counter-stratgies we have been talking about ? Why not tell everyone ?

4 comments:

noah said...

This also goes to the question of the legal justification for the rendition process which has been an integral part of the fight on terrorism. I feel that if a person is guilty they should be charged and allowed to follw due process. If this isnt allowed then the plans of the terrorist to create fear and change the way of life of the American people is accomplished.

ashley said...

As to your specific question, I have no idea why the government chose not to release that information. However, as for the general issue of rendition I am deeply concerned by the government's actions. I understand that terrorism is an exceptionally difficult crime to stop, but at the same time I think friday's author made a very important point. If we destroy our own social values...what are we trying to stop the terrorists from doing.

jschristensen said...

I agree with what Ashley said, amen.

Steve-O said...

It's an age old dichotomy- security or unrestrained civil freedoms? And as far as I understand it, non-uniformed unlawful combatants (terrorists) are not subject to the lawful protection under the Geneva Convention. I am not saying that I necessarily agree that this person should be held for a year with no court appearance per se, but honestly- if they choose to engage in secret, illegal, and highly destructive terrorist activities, then I don't think they deserve full protection under the law.