Monday, April 21, 2008

Jimmy Carter and Hamas

Here is another article concerning Jimmy Carter and his venture to speak with the leaders of Hamas. This article focuses on whether or not his visit to the Middle East will be effective and worthwhile. As of right now it has been reported that Islamist militants have reported that they would respect a peace treaty ratified by Palestine.
However, many people are skeptical about whether or not Israel and Palestine will really respect and obey this treaty.
I am still confused as to what Jimmy Carter thinks will be accomplished by going over and meeting with the Hamas leader, I don't see any logical reason for this. In my mind it will not make things any better...if anything, I see it as making the situation worse.

2 comments:

squirrelyearl said...

I agree about the fruitlessness of Jimmy Carter's actions, of course I guess that's pretty much the same thing as his actual presidency (sorry, I couldn't resist). But yeah, as much as Bill Clinton may not agree with the Bush's, at least he seems a lot more supportive of the country than Carter has. And what exactly makes Carter think he's got all the answers and can solve all the world's problems? Didn't he realize that during his presidency he didn't solve many problems for America and so why does he think anything is different now? I mean good for him for trying to make a difference, but it seems like he's picked an odd battle as far as terrorism goes and it also seems like he has chosen some strange bed fellows. I know from all I've seen of his interaction with the Middle East, it seems as though he just assumes that the West and Israel are wrong in all of this and the Arab nations are in the right. Pretty strong assumptions and I think the problem has gotten to a point that it's hard to label it with a simple right and wrong now.

noah said...

After more than a decade of hostilities between Isreal and Palestine, it cant be any worse. It is common sence to know that Hamas is a political player in Palestine whether we like it or not. They have huge support from the people, and have representatives in the government;having them at the table to negotiate peace is very necesary. I think Jimmy Carter did the right thing; Hamas isnt just a terrorist group, but a political movement in Palestine.They need to be brought to the table if peace is to be reached.