Thursday, January 10, 2008

Locality of Terrorism

Due to the de-centralized nature of terrorism i.e. the fact that most do not have a physical piece of land it might make it hard to answer the question where does terrorism come from. I think most would say that the Middle East or Asia seems to have a lot terrorists groups based out of this part of the world. Because I am a Latin American Studies major I try to take a spin from the Latin American side of things. When I was thinking about I couldn’t really think of any terrorist organizations or major terrorist attacks that have occur din that region of the world. But the FPRI site has reports grouped by region and I was surprised to find that one of the largest mentions of terrorism in Latin America was that of Drug Cartels. As we are discussing how to define terrorism it is interesting to include this thought as well: Can terrorism be financially motivated as well as political and whatever other reason?

1 comment:

Acetexan said...

I am from the border regions of Texas and see alot of what your talking about, the Cartels have such control of the people of Mexico that they will do anything to stay out of the drug runners way. I think that terrorism could be financially motivated, more to keep the people/government out of their business. But I have noticed that the Cartels are very measured in their acts of terror.

Instead of blowing up city centers they kill people in small numbers to make examples of. Their mode of acting out terrorism may be different but the resulting emotional distress is the same.

I think the definitions we are looking at in class are geared towards more of the theoretical framework to defining terrorism so as to operationalize it and hence study it, they take out the fear motive. All terrorists want to create some level of fear in their targets to coerce them into either joining their side or perhaps to be too scared to stand up against the Terrorists in their activities.